Home Sitemap Legal Notice Contact
Search for keyword 
Go
Product-Finder 
Solution-Finder 



History of Chemetall GmbH

Chemetall was founded in 1982 as a subsidiary of former Metallgesellschaft AG (mg) in Frankfurt am Main, however the actual history of chemetall can be traced back over a 100 years to the founding of mg by the Frankfurt merchant Wilhelm Merton.

In its research, development and production Chemetall GmbH carries on the tradition started by mg's former "Technical Processes Division"

Metallgesellschaft´s expansion and diversification into different fields of activity ultimately led to the foundation of Chemetall, a company created to focus on the important and growing field: the combination of chemistry and metallurgy.

1889
Frankfurt-based Metallgesellschaft founded the Technische Abteilung (TA), the nucleus of Chemetal whose first director was Curt Netto. One of his main objectives was to be aware of the latest technical and industrial developments and to adjust Metallgesellschaft’s corporate planning accordingly.
1897
Founding of Metallurgische Gesellschaft (later Lurgi) as a subsidiary of Metallgesellschaft with Curt Netto on the Executive Board. The TA was incorporated into this new subsidiary.
1914
Development of Bahnmetall, also called Lurgi metal, used as a material for the bearings in trains.
1922/
1923
Improvement of Bahnmetall by the addition of lithium. To meet the large demand, Metallurgische Gesellschaft established the Hans-Heinrich metallurgical plant in the Harz region, which later became the Langelsheim works of Chemetall. This was the first time ever that lithium salts were produced on an industrial scale.
1926
Metallgesellschaft founded Kautschuk-Gesellschaft thus laying the foundations for the activities for the future Chemetall in the areas of chemicals for rubber, for bonding and for plastics.
1930
Ties forged with Deutsche Parker Rostschutz GmbH, resulted in TA introducing a new and fast process for temporary corrosion protection named Bonder*.
1935
First Bonder plant started operation in Langelsheim.
1953
TA established a separate lithium division in view of the ever increasing applications for lithium compounds.
Start of the production of PVC stabilizers in large amounts in the Langelsheim works.
1955
TA was reincorporated into Metallgesellschaft and renamed Technische Verfahren (TV).
1960
TV used a licensed process to produce sealants for the construction sector.
1962
Within Metallgesellschaft, TV was upgraded to a profit centre with its own statement of operating results.
1965
The acquisition of Société Continentale Parker in Paris marked the formation of the Surface Technology Division. This was the forerunner of expansion abroad for the future Chemetall.
1972
From construction sealants, the Glass and Ceramics Division evolved, with its core business of sealants for insulating glass (Naftotherm**).
1982
Metallgesellschaft granted the TV Division legal independence. Starting on October 1st of that year, it became CHEMETALL, Gesellschaft für chemisch-technische Verfahren mbH.
1986
Chemson was founded as a joint venture between Cookson and Chemetall. The core business was PVC additives.
1989
Expansion of the PVC stabilizer business: Chemetall acquired the majority of Bleiberger Bergwerks Union, a producer of PVC-stabilizers, including the site at Arnoldstein/Austria
1990
Acquisition of the US-based Oakite, specialized in industrial cleaners, to complement the Surface Technology Division.
1992
Chemetall was integrated into Dynamit Nobel, which became part of Metallgesellschaft (later renamed into mg technologies) in the same year.
1994
Chemetall becomes single owner of Chemson
1995
Expansion to the Far East: Purchase of a stake in a company in India (40 %) operating under the firm of Chemetall-Rai India Ltd.
In the same year, establishment of a joint venture for the production of Bonders in China, the Shanghai Chemetall Chemicals.
1996
Chemetall takes over the Asian business for industrial chemicals from the British company Brent International plc. Chemetall (Asia) Pte. Ltd. in Singapore takes over the marketing of surface chemicals with a network covering all of South East Asia.
1997
Purchase of the majority in Weiland GmbH active in the field of galvanizing technologies.
1998
Complete takeover of the joint venture for surface technology founded one year earlier in Australia under the name of Chemetall (Australasia) Pty. Ltd.
Acquisition of the US lithium specialist Cyprus Foote, the largest investment ever by Chemetall.
1999
Acquisition of Brent International plc, London.
2000
Integration of Brent's activities into Chemetall's organization. Divestment of the PVC Additives Business.
2001
Acquisition of the aviation business from Dinol AB and integration into Chemetall's Aerospace Division. Divestment of the Plating Technologies Business. Divestment of the Bonding Agents Business.
2003
Divestment of the insulating glass sealants business. The remaining portfolio is reorganised into the two Strategic Business Units Surface Treatment and Fine Chemicals.
2004
mg technologies divest their chemicals business. As part of the mg chemical group Dynamit Nobel, Chemetall is acquired by Rockwood Specialties, Inc, effective August, 1st.

* Today, Bonder is a registered trademark of Henkel KGaA, Düsseldorf. The respective trademark by Chemetall is Gardobond.
** Naftotherm is now a trademark of Koemmerling Chemische Fabrik, Primasens.

[Top][Back]